Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Que Honda! (Wassup

Big Al is thriving!!  He made it safely to Lindsay and he got to see his companion from the MTC for the first time since they left the MTC :) He sounded soooo happy to see him again!  He also got to see some of the tallest and biggest trees ever!!  I can't help but envision the trees on Lord of the Rings (The Ents).  I imagine that they are these ginormous race that wake up to discuss our future in Entish and of course it takes them half the night just to say hello in their language ;) lol.  Anyway!  That's what came to mind when I saw the pictures!!  Holy Moses they are big!!!

He also is excited for the football team and sends his love and support!!  GO COUGS!!!!!

He's doing good things :)  Enjoy!

They got frogs out here in the desert

The Ortiz family. One of my most favorite families I've met so far

The fantastic four of Hughson. The day before I left

Another cool pic of the tree stump

One of the tallest ones out there

The most massive tree in the world. It's 20 feet in diameter, 245 ft tall and 1,500 years old.

This just shows you how big these suckers can get

This is more of the fallen tree

This tree fell in September 30, 2011 and was 282 feet tall. The fall was captured by a German tourist and I guess it's on YouTube or the sequoia national forest website. The thing I'm leaning up against is its stump!




Que Honda! (Wassup)

Every week that seems to go by is always something to remember! I love my mission every single day. This week was kind of different due to transfers and everything. As you all know I'm back where I started a year ago when I first came out to the mission. Well I'm at least 10 minutes away. I'm in a town called Lindsay and Elder Moody is one of the best companions every! He's white but he's basically a native because he knows Spanish really well. I've learned a lot more Spanish from him and the members here than I ever have any where else.
    So we had a little Fiesta farewell on Monday before Elder Brower and I went to our new areas. The Fiesta didn't have a Pinata unfortunately haha but we had an interesting thing called Arroz con luche, it means Rice with Milk. It's like a sweet and warm taste, kind of like when you make hot chocolate but it's obviously not hot chocolate. I don't know how to explain it you'll have to look it up on youtube haha. Over all the Party was good we had lots of fun and took lots of pictures and said our last goodbyes... Wednesday was the day I came down to Lindsay and I saw one of my best friends there that I haven't seen since the MTC. I saw Elder Nye!!!! My MTC comp who knew I went home and when he saw me pull into the church his eyes got really big and I heard him say "No way!!" and I was like yes way! So he came and ran to the truck and gave me the biggest hug. All the missionaries there and the members who gave us a ride were looking at us funny but we didn't care haha. It was like a little kid waking up for Christmas. I couldn't believe it when I saw him either, I was so excited!! And of course as soon as we arrived in Lindsay we went straight to work. I love being in the south because the investigators are so humble here! They are ready to be baptized!
      (These are investigators that I've taught in Lindsey thus far) We have two really progressing investigators named Teresa and Martin. They have a little family with 3 kids. We're working on getting them married so they can be baptized. It's either get married or move out, and they say they'd rather get married. So we're helping them with the Law of chastity. We're also trying to get Martin to quit drugs and smoking and maybe a few other things pertaining to the word of wisdom. I believe it was Saturday, we passed by and taught them about the plan of Salvation and how families can be together forever. They really liked that message and they asked what they had to do to accomplish that, and that's when we went into a few of the commandments and other things like the Law of Chastity and Word of wisdom. So they look forward to us every time we come over, it's awesome. We have another progressing investigator right now and his name is Hunter. Hunter's dad Tony has already been baptized and is working towards the Priesthood and his son hasn't been baptized yet but he will be! Tony is a good influence for him and reads the BOM often. I believe he was baptized in August and is in 2 Nephi 20 right now? Which is really good! It shows to Heavenly Father his efforts in working towards the Priesthood.
     There's a lot of less active members in Lindsay. I don't know exactly how much but I know it's in the double digits. So we drop by them often too. Right now we have two less active members that we're really focusing on. One of them is sister Baze and she was baptized but got into smoking again. We're doing the stop smoking program with her and she really wants to quit so she can go to the temple and just be clean again. The other less active member is the Contreras Family. The daughter in the family has already been baptized so they're actually a part member family. The parents want to be baptized but they have the same issue as Teresa and Martin, they won't get married. We've been going by and reading the Book of Mormon to help them get a better feel of it, because they said they want to know the Book of moron and everything else before they can get married and be baptized. The only way they can know is if they read it themselves, but we go by and just help them to liken the scriptures to themselves, like in 1 Nephi 19:23.
      Saturday was a day I'll never forget! So we were originally supposed to go up to the mountains to do a service Project for a girls camp, stuff like putting away cots, beds, chairs, and whatever else they needed. The ride up to the mountains was about an hour and a half or two hours. We left at 7 30 in the morning with some members and by the time we got there they were already finished with the service project... So just said well since we're already up here we might as well go see or do something haha. So we went to what's called "The trail of 100 giants" where there's a bunch of huge Sequoia Trees, which are the biggest trees in the world. You would not believe how big these things are!! I'll send some pictures and stuff and then you'll see how big they are. But it was one of the funnest and coolest parks I've been too. Everything in the mountains here in Cali just shows how amazing God's creations are.

It sounds like Union won again?? They haven't done this good since they 1980's from Weston said. This year the team has won twice as many games than I did my Freshman Sophomore and Junior year. Just shows you how good we were haha. Tell the team and tell Wes to keep it up! I'm glad he went to homecoming too, dats ma boy right there!

I'm really glad to hear about Justin! What's cool is that the Lord has given me opportunities to teach people how Justin's experiences with quitting smoking are working for him right now. When the people hear that they re assure themselves and think "Oh maybe I can do that!" it's awesome to see them change their attitudes.

I would like Zach's email please if you could get that for me!

I'll check the mission office and see if the pull up bar is still there. But if it's not don't worry about it, they're not to expensive and I guess you could get a new one. It takes about a week or 2 for the packages to get to me. They send it to the mission office and then the zone leaders go down to Fresno once a week to get the packages (I'm not sure what day) and they come back to our area and give us our packages.

Well my time is short but I love hearing that everything is going good back home. I'll check out the pics you sent and see how they are. Tell everyone how much I love and miss them. Until then, you'll hear from me next week

Les Extrano y Amo


No comments:

Post a Comment